Tuesday 26 April 2016

OUGD505 - Brief 02 - Various Considerations

Turning food that is destined for landfill into a lovely meal is not likely to appeal to everyone. In
fact, some people would probably be completely disgusted by the idea. I realised this instantly after choosing to create branding/identity for the RJFP, which made me concious of the fact that the branding needed to transform the idea of eating food from a bin into something a lot more positive and glamorous than it currently is. I saw myself achieving this through appropriate typographic and colour selection as well as creating an appealing tone of voice. This was one of the most important considerations that I made for this brief.

Other vital considerations included the fact that this is a non-government funded, independent charitable organisation that has a limited budget. I needed to make sure the aesthetic of the branding represented the unique qualities of the organization whilst staying within a relatively small budget. I took the target audience into consideration throughout the design process too. Ultimately, the Junk-Food cafes have the potential to appeal to pretty much anyone, from any background and age group, but they mainly cater towards those who are food insecure. They exist to create food security and reduce food waste across society, so I needed to make sure the aesthetics and the tone of voice of the branding would appeal to this very broad demographic, whilst not putting off certain groups. I had to make sure the tone of voice wasn’t condescending or elitist, and was careful to not use language that children and teenagers would not be able to understand or be able to relate to.

Currently, the organization has a few different logos floating about which are slightly unprofessional and look quite unconsidered. I knew that I needed to create a single logo that felt contemporary, bold, fresh and instantly recognisable. I also needed to make sure the branding would appeal to all genders, ages and backgrounds. The logo would be central to the branding, as it would appear across the collateral, so it was essential that I got this spot on, as a result, I spent a considerable amount of time designing the logo.

When it came to the production, there were several considerations to bare in mind. If the branding were to go to commercial print, I would have to make sure that the inks and paper used would be sustainable and environmentally friendly. This would be achieved through using soy based inks and recycled stocks and materials to print onto. For the purpose of submission, I decided to experiment with screen printing to see what sort of textures and aesthetics I cold achieve. I am really happy I decided to venture down this analogue route and I had a lot of fun in the process. In a commercial context, screen printing could also be used, as it uses less electrical energy than using inkjet printers. However, it is a very time consuming and laborious process, it would just depend on the scale of the printing. I personally favour the results from screen printing, I think it made my designs seem more original and heartfelt compared to a glossy digital print.

No comments:

Post a Comment