Saturday 2 April 2016

OUGD505 - Brief 01 - Research - Money Collages

Artist Rodrigo Torres is going for it created a range of spectacular collages, tackling themes of economic instability, tension and downturn. Like most of us, he’s realised how beautiful the patterns are that fill the banknotes of each country, and he has since set about collaging them together to make multi-layered scenes of ancient buildings, wild animals and the faces of those deemed worthy to be immortalised on cash. I like the mismatching imagery, combined with classic elements of pattern and type. It's interesting how he has placed Mickey Mouse on one of the collages. Mickey is arguably one of America's biggest cultural exports, an important figure of innocence and nostalgia for millions of people across the world, so it makes sense to place him at the centre of a banknote. 

What I take away from these works is a sense of irreverence and playfulness, something I know I an achieve through my designs for this brief. The collaging approach inspires me, because I really love this process. However, I don't think I want to use collaging in my designs, because I want to create something that looks beautiful and is lust worthy to tie in with the quote from the bible which initially inspired me to go down the route that I am. 


1

2

3

7

4

No comments:

Post a Comment