Thursday 25 February 2016

OUGD503 - Brief 01 - Secret 7 - Initial Designs for 'Dream 3'

When I listened to this track for the first time, all I could think about was extremely abstract patterns and colours, because entering into a dream state is an incredibly abstract experience to me. I found some old photography from my foundation year and manipulated it beyond recognition, turning urban photography from London into psychedelic landscapes. 

I took these experiments into a crit session with some level 04 students. The feedback was mixed, and I was prepared for this. Most of them liked how outrageously abstract I had been in my approach, but others thought I had gone a little too far, saying that the busy designs detract from the pureness and simplicity of the track itself. This was very valid and constructive feedback which I listened to closely and applied to my design treatment. I think I was just trying to be as abstract and conceptual as I could rather than desperately attempted to weave some sort of narrative into my designs. The crit put this into perspective for me, prompting some much needed change. 




No comments:

Post a Comment