Sunday 25 October 2015

OUGD504 - Brief 03 - Cover/Layout Initial Designs

The first thing I like to do when designing a publication is to design the front and back cover. This way I get into the mindset of how I want the entire publication's aesthetic to look and feel. I knew from the beginning that I wanted my book to be purely monochrome, for a number of reasons. The biggest being that black is commonly associated with funerals and death, and seen that all of content is to do with cemeteries, I saw it fitting to use this colour scheme. Monochrome photo books are quite popular at the moment, and I am interested in producing a highly contemporary publication for this brief. I want my work to be relevant to a wide range of audience in 2015. I also really love anything monochromatic, purely because of the sheer contrast and depth of tone you can achieve in black and white photography and inverting colours. 

I decided to set up a custom page size on InDesign to emulate the form of a headstone, subtly making a reference to the context of cemeteries. The publication will be roughly 9.5 x 17.5 cm in dimension, rather small, but I didn't want it to be overwhelming in size. The image quality of my photography is more than sufficient to be blown up to very large scales. In effect, I could have created a publication with a minimum page size of A3, but I didn't see the point of making an oversized book.That is the justification for the somewhat small size of the publication design. Below are a number of mock up covers that I have designed using InDesign. I have played around with type choices and images as well as mocking up a number of content spreads. 










Below are a number of rough layout designs. At this stage I am not sure how many images I am going to include in the design. I am stuck as to whether to include the entire alphabet or just to chose the letter forms that are the most visually exciting and unique. I am also still unsure on the amount of copy to include. 






No comments:

Post a Comment