Thursday 1 October 2015

OUGD504 - Brief 01 - Informal Crit Session/ Student led feedback

Today's session was very beneficial and I received some very good constructive critique. We were told to leave our design work out on the desk for critique and feedback. I left out several test prints that went slightly wrong and the InDesign file up on my laptop. Next to my work I left a large sheet of paper for people to physically write their feedback.

Do you think the folding technique is easy to understand and interact with? Is it interesting, appropriate?

The general feedback here was yes, the folding technique is really easy to understand and use. People said they love how it opens and falls naturally to reveal the content inside. People also commented on its simplicity and how this made it effective as a folded leaflet. I was happy with this feedback, it goes to show that keeping things simple pays off. The folding technique isn't overly complicated but is still interesting enough for the audience interacting with the content.

Do you think the shapes cut out of the front fold are necessary? Or are they not needed?

On my very rough mock up, the cut shapes didn't really function properly. The content underneath interacted with the initial pattern design that I created in the early stages of this brief, which created a messy look, confusing aesthetic. But that was the point of the crit, to get feedback on what needs improving. The digital design that I displayed was different from the rough print out copy, the pattern and positioning of the shapes was more organised and people said they appreciated that. This gave me the confidence and determination to improve the design to make it something a bit more intriguing. I knew that I wanted to reveal the title of the leaflet underneath the cut outs of the Bauhaus shapes, so that is something I am going to work on to ensure it functions properly and integrates with the overall aesthetic that I want to achieve.

Is the content too text heavy? Is the tone of voice too serious or too formal?

The general feedback here was that my content needs editing down. People felt that it was definitely too text heavy but they thought that the tone of voice was appropriate and not overly formal which I was pleased with.  People also said using a more sophisticated sans serif type face would make the tone feel less authoritative and more approachable for the reader. I agreed with all the feedback I got for this question and intermediately got to work on making improvements.

Does the type choice combination work on the printed mock up? Or do you prefer my type choices on the laptop? Abstract or formal?

People prefered the type combinations used on the digital mock up rather than the very rough print outs I had on display. They said they look sleeker and fit more with the Bauhaus theme. The Bauhaus inspired font could work to create a pattern perhaps? The overall message needs to be more refined and people said that the typesetting and hierarchy need to be more considered.

Is the size appropriate? Do you think A4 or A3 works best? 

My printed mock ups were printed on A3 paper, and the majority of the feedback was good for this size. A lot of people suggested trying out a mock up on A4 paper, as they said the folds them self were quite big which makes the leaflet look more like a brochure. The larger folds distract from the content. Again I agreed very much with the feedback given and I will consider printing it on a smaller scale and on much nicer stock.

Would it look best printed on white stock keeping it purely monochrome, or printed on a vibrant coloured stock?  

Considering that I have designed the leaflet to be printed in monochrome, a lot of people suggested trying coloured stock and seeing how that would look with my design. I think I will keep the content monochrome and play around with various coloured stocks and see what the various effects are.

I found today's informal crit very helpful, it gave me a good kick in the right direction. I now have a stronger idea of where to take my work forward and develop a much more realized aesthetic.


No comments:

Post a Comment